Overseas links and experience:
Developing, implementing and evaluating community-learning projects in India, Egypt, Kenya, Guinea, Sierra Leone and Southern Sudan.
I am committed to working in partnership with local NGOs and institutions in overseas projects, strengthening local organisations and supporting them in meeting their objectives.
This work has:
• emphasised the importance of exploring and building on the expertise available locally and adopting a flexible, action-research based approach
• enabled me to combine my adult education and training of trainers skills with my experience of working in the fields of health, adult literacy and ecology
• provided a rich learning environment for me to explore the inter-relatedness between different countries, economies and cultures, drawing on the strengths from different parts of the world to influence my practice
• highlighted the need for sustainability to be of prime importance from the project planning stage and throughout the programme
• provided opportunities to develop skills in facilitating participatory evaluation, thereby supporting the development of skills in monitoring and evaluation in partner organisations.
Significant international consultancies:
1994 – 1997: Trainer for institutional capacity building and staff development project across the health and social development sectors with CEOSS, Cairo
1995 – 1998: Trainer for two Indian Women’s Workers’ Training programmes, Tamil Nadu and Ahmedabad
1996 – 2000: Project manager for Organisational development, capacity building and staff development project, Kenya Water for Health Organisation
1999 – 2002: Organisation Development Project (Performance based training), CEOSS, Egypt
1999 – 2002: External evaluator, Literacy and Conflict Resolution project, Guinea
2000 – 2003: Project manager, Literacy and Conflict Resolution project, Sierra Leone
2002 – 2005: Project manager, Literacy and Conflict Resolution project, Southern Sudan
2001 – 2004: External advisor and evaluator, Global Initial Teacher Education programme, India, UK and Kenya
2003 (Jan): Facilitator for Education for All workshops, ActionAid, Kampala
2004 (June): Consultancy for DfID Health and Health Systems Resource Centres on ‘Service Delivery in Difficult Environments’ from experiences in Sierra Leone & South Sudan
2004 – 2005: Consultant and trainer on Literacy and Conflict resolution for Care International in South Sudan (USAID funded)
2006 to date: Project lead International Collaborative Learning Project, linking Palliative Care institutions in UK, Argentina and South